According to Zippia's data science team, there are over 36,310 general contractors in the USA. Such a high number, right?
How can your company succeed with such high competition? The answer is contractor marketing.
Marketing is key to the long-term success of your company. It helps to increase brand visibility and differentiate your services from your competitors. Without a solid contractor advertising plan, you will find it difficult to attract new customers and grow your business.
This article will discuss the most effective ways to market your contracting business. We'll cover everything from online advertising to networking with potential clients. By following our tips, you can create a comprehensive marketing plan that will help you get more customers and grow your business!
Best Contractor Marketing Strategies
For your contractor advertising campaigns to succeed, you need to use the best strategies to reach your target audience. Let's take a look at the most effective marketing for contractors strategies.
Usually, when people search for information on the internet or social media, they're met with text coupled with engaging images. While these are great for your website and social pages, customers can also find similar information on your competitors' sites.
One way to stand out from the rest is by doing video marketing. Videos are more engaging than text and images, making them more likely to capture attention.
You can use videos to show your work, introduce your team, or give potential customers a behind-the-scenes look at your business, which will help you attract more customers and build trust and credibility with your target audience.
Begin your contractor marketing campaign by investing in a great digital camera. If your budget allows for it, hire a videographer. Create a series of videos that you can post on your website and social media pages.
Keep your videos engaging and short. If you create very long videos, people might lose interest in the middle. Additionally, make sure that every video addresses a certain pain point. This way, people looking for a contractor can easily get their questions answered and move on to other videos.
Don't forget to include a call-to-action (CTA) in each video, such as subscribing to your YouTube channel or following you on social media. By including a CTA, you can increase the number of leads you generate from your video marketing campaign!
Some of the videos that you can make include the following:
- Meet the team videos: For marketing for contractors, meet the team videos should include a quick introduction to each team member. You can also include a fun fact about each person. These videos help potential customers get to know your team and see that you're a group of experts who are passionate about their work!
- How-to videos: These videos are great for showing off your work while also providing valuable information to potential customers. For example, you can create a how-to video on "How to Choose the Right Contractor."
- Customer testimonial videos: Customer testimonials are a great way to build trust with potential customers. You can have past clients talk about their experience working with your company in these videos. Make sure to include video testimonials on your website and social media pages.
- Service area videos: If you want to attract customers in a specific service area, make a video that showcases your work. This type of video is especially useful for local SEO purposes.
How can you measure whether your contractor marketing videos will bring in results?
According to 88% of marketers, videos give them a positive ROI. To measure whether your video marketing campaign is working, do the following:
- Check the play rate: This value is the number of times your video has been played divided by the number of impressions (the number of times your video has been seen).
- Check the completion rate: This value is the number of people who watched your video until the end divided by the total number of people who started watching it.
- Look at social media engagement: This aspect includes likes, comments, and shares on your video.
- Check website traffic: This figure is the number of people who visit your site after watching your video.
By measuring these metrics, you can determine whether or not your video marketing campaign is successful and make changes accordingly.
Website design is the most crucial part of contractor marketing. A well-designed website can help you win the trust of potential customers and close more deals.
Your website should be designed with your target audience in mind. It should be easy to navigate and include clear calls to action. The design of your website should also reflect the image you want to project to potential customers.
SEO is also important for your website. It should be designed in a way that makes it easy for search engines to crawl and index your pages.
When designing a website for contractor advertising, make sure that your website is the following:
- Simple: Potential customers should know that you deliver quality, professional services at first glance. Use more whitespace to give your website a clean look.
- High quality: Use high-quality images that are relevant to your business.
- Informative: Include clear, concise descriptions of your services. Use easy-to-understand language and avoid industry jargon.
- User-friendly: Your website should be easy to navigate. Include a search bar and make sure that your pages are mobile-responsive.
- Calls to action: Include calls to action on every page. Use strong, persuasive language to encourage potential customers to contact you.
- SSL certified: Your website should have an SSL certificate, as it will ensure that your site is secure and trustworthy.
If you're not sure how to design a website, plenty of resources are available online. You can also hire a web designer to create a website for you. You can measure the success of your website by doing the following:
- Checking your website's traffic: This metric is the number of people who visit your site.
- Checking your website's bounce rate: This number is the percentage of people who leave your site after viewing only one page.
- Checking your website's conversion rate: This value is the percentage of people who take action on your site (e.g., fill out a form or make a purchase).
- Checking your website's SERP position: This metric is the position that your website occupies in search engine results pages.
Search Engine Optimization
One of the most important aspects of contractor marketing is search engine optimization (SEO). SEO is the process of optimizing your website and content to rank higher in search engine results pages (SERPs).
When potential customers search for information related to your business, you want your website to show up on the first page of results, because most people don't click past the first page of SERPs. Contractor marketing is all about local SEO. When potential customers search for contractor businesses in your area, you want your website to appear on the first page of results.
To optimize your website for SEO, start by doing keyword research. Keyword research is finding words and phrases for which potential customers are searching. Once you have a list of keywords, integrate them into your website and content.
Make sure to use the keywords throughout your website, including title tags, meta descriptions, headings, and body text. However, don't overuse keywords or stuff your website with too many of them, as doing so will result in search engines penalizing your site.
Be sure to include your city and state in the title tags, meta descriptions, and H tags on your website. You can also create local service and landing pages that are optimized for specific keywords. For instance, "Bathroom Renovations Kansas City, Missouri," is an excellent keyword to target if you want to attract customers in that area.
Another important aspect of local SEO is building local citations. Citations are listings of your business on directories and other websites.
Local citations are important in contractor advertising because they help to improve your visibility in search engine results pages. Plus, they help you build trust and credibility with potential customers. Some directories you can list your business on include Google My Business, Yellow Pages, Yelp, and Angie's List. You can also get citations from local Chamber of Commerce websites and Better Business Bureau listings.
When you build citations, be sure to include your NAP (name, address, and phone number). Consistency is key when it comes to building citations. Ensure that your NAP information is the same on your website and social media pages.
In addition to these tricks, there are other SEO best practices that you should follow. These strategies include the following:
- Creating high-quality content
- Optimizing your website for mobile
- Building backlinks
- Updating your image alt text so that it's keyword-rich
- Creating a Google My Business listing
To measure the success of your SEO efforts, make sure to do the following:
- Check your organic traffic: This value is the number of people who visit your website from search engines.
- Check your SERP position: This metric is the position that your website occupies in search engine results pages.
- Check your spam score: A spam score measures how likely your website is to be penalized by Google. Spam scores are graded on a scale of 0 to 17. The lower the score, the more trustworthy you are.
- Check your backlink profile: This value is the number of websites that link to yours. The more backlinks you have, the higher your website will rank in SERPs.
- Check keyword rankings: This metric is the position that your website ranks for specific keywords.
In addition to SEO, content marketing is another effective contractor marketing strategy. Content marketing is creating and sharing valuable content to attract and engage your target audience.
One of the best approaches to content marketing is creating blog posts. All blog posts should be optimized for the search engine. Also, it is crucial to think about their readability. To improve the readability of your posts, adhere by the following guidelines:
- Use short paragraphs.
- Break text with images. You can use images every 150-200 words.
- Use headings and subheadings.
- Use first-person pronouns to make your writing more relatable.
- Check your posts for grammar and spelling mistakes.
- Ensure your post are informative and value-driven.
- Use easy-to-understand language.
After you've written your blog post, don't forget to promote it on social media and in your email newsletter. Other examples of content marketing that you might want to consider include the following:
- White papers
When creating content, it's important to keep your target audience in mind. Your goal should be to create relevant and interesting content for them.
Google Ads is a form of paid advertising that allows you to place ads on Google and its partner websites. When someone searches for a keyword that's relevant to your ad, your ad will appear in the search results.
Google Ads is an effective marketing for contractors approach. Businesses that use Google Ads see an average return of $8 for every $1 they spend on advertising.
To get started with Google Ads, you need to create a campaign. You can create a campaign for yous business by following these steps:
- Choose your goal.
- Select your ad type.
- Enter your business information.
- Choose your target audience.
- Set up your budget and bids.
- Write your ad.
- Choose your keywords.
- Review and launch your campaign.
The most common way to measure the success of Google Ads is by looking at the click-through rate. The click-through rate is the number of times people see your ad and click on it. You can also measure the success of Google Ads by looking at the following aspects:
- Conversion rate: This value is the number of people who take the desired action (such as making a purchase) after clicking on your ad.
- Cost-per-click: The cost-per-click is the amount you pay for each person who clicks on your ad.
- Quality score: This metric measures how relevant and useful your ad is to people who see it.
Social Media Marketing
Social media is a powerful tool that you can use to reach new customers and grow your business. In fact, social media marketing is one of the most effective modern-day marketing strategies.
When it comes to social media marketing, there are a few things you need to do. Before beginning your contractor marketing, do a competitor analysis.
If you're still on the fence about which social platforms to use, competitor analysis will offer you some clarity. What social platforms are your biggest competitors using? What competitor content performs well and is the most engaging?
The most popular platforms for contractor businesses are Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, TikTok, and Pinterest. Once you've chosen a platform, you need to create social media accounts and start posting content. When creating content, include images, videos, and infographics, as these types of content are more likely to be shared than text-based posts.
To ensure that the content you post is highly engaging, write for your audience. This goal requires you to do a little audience research to find out what content your target audience responds to the best. To make your content more engaging, make sure to do the following:
- Use strong headlines.
- Write in a conversational tone.
- Use images, videos, and infographics.
- Post behind-the-scenes content.
- Be concise and edit your work.
Use organic as well as paid contractor advertising campaigns. Do not forget to schedule posts for when your audience is most active on each platform to ensure a consistent flow of content.
Choose a social media platform to do influencer marketing. Facebook and YouTube are excellent for this type of marketing in the contractor business. If you have an active Youtube channel, make it more interesting by uploading unique content such as DIY videos. TikTok and Instagram reels are also excellent platforms for DIYers.
In addition to creating content, you also need to engage with your audience, which means liking and leaving valuable comments on contractor-related posts and responding to comments on your posts.
With that said, make sure that you identify the social platform bringing in the best results and concentrate on it more, as it is difficult to achieve success on multiple platforms.
To track the success of your contractor marketing campaigns on social media, check the following:
- Page views: This metric is the number of times your social media pages are viewed.
- Post engagement: This value is the number of interactions (likes, comments, shares, etc.) your posts receive.
- Follower growth: This metric is the number of new followers you gain over time.
- Brand mentions: This aspect is the number of times your business is mentioned on social media.
Combining different contractor marketing strategies will help you get more customers. Don't forget to track the success of your marketing campaigns so you can adjust your approach as needed.
Call tracking is one of the methods that you can use to measure success. Essentially, this strategy involves tracking phone calls from potential customers who see your marketing campaign and then call your business. It helps contractors identify the channels that lead the most customers to ring their business. This way, they can focus their marketing efforts on the channels that are working best and getting them results. Remember to follow the tips we’ve shared for each contractor advertising strategy for the best results!